What is My School My Voice
- My School My Voice is a unique program conceptualized by RWF in collaboration with Govt. of U.P. in Lucknow in an attempt to create a social accountability system around schools.
Why My School My Voice
- The purpose of My School My Voice was to create a platform for key stakeholders namely the students, policy makers and government leadership through which students can voice their concerns and opinions without any fear or hesitation.
Status in Uttar Pradesh
- There was no platform in the entire state of U.P., where students could raise their voice on the issues being faced by the students; nor was there a system where the efforts made by teachers, principals and schools towards bringing innovation and improvement in their respective schools were recognized by the government.
- The project envisaged students as the key change makers in re-imagining the public education system that has been vying for urgent attention. It was designed to bring about an element of collaborative accountability by empowering students from government schools to:
1. Identify their education related concerns
2. Self-monitor and generate a quarterly ‘Mera School Report’
3. Elect students as ‘Young School Leaders’ who will be imparted intensive training
4. Co-ordinate with concerned government officials and policy-makers directly to improve the implementation effectiveness of key policies/programs in education system
- The project not only received great responses from all sectors but also saw impact in terms of prompt government actions being taken at schools on the issues raised by the students. For the first time, salaries of two regularly absent teachers in one of the Government schools were withheld on finding them guilty as complained by students. My School My Voice also recognised the efforts made by teachers, principals and schools towards bringing innovation and improvement in their respective schools.